[iyonix-support] Re: File-core limit of 256GB - is it on the list?

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:49:21 +1300

In message <201002100130.o1A1UlNi028712@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "Steffen Huber" <steffen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I was just wondering if the filecore limit of 256GB is on the list to
> > be extended. Or whether perhaps it is being worked upon already?
> >
> > [I know it is difficult to fix, I have read earlier reports about
> > this].
>
> A few random thoughts about  this topic (and a few related ones).
>
> Writing a driver for one of the IDE and S-ATA PCI cards would
> certainly be possible. Driver source code is readily available.
> There are even combo cards around which have the same
> NEC USB chipset that the current IYONIX card, so you wouldn't
> even lose a PCI slot.

<snip Steffen's larger plan, needs a contribution scheme?>

Yes, I checked on the Linux libata, it includes drivers that
assign an atapi drive to a bus on a SCSI layer. The favoured
driver is a unified ahci driver, which has full support for
device hotplugging etc and quite a few chipsets are compliant.

It sounds pretty close to our USB mass storage system.
Could it be as simple as changing the PCI addressing and the
SCSI device handles on the arm port of libata?

Ron M