[iyonix-support] Re: File-core limit of 256GB - is it on the list?

  • From: george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:24:52 GMT

In message <4B9FC0E7.9080906@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> jess hampshire wrote:
>> On 16 March 2010 16:23, David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> There isn't any point in keeping such data on a machine which clearly hasn't
>>> got the horsepower to process it. Store and manipulate the RAW images on a
>>> modern system with large discs, and convert them in to JPEGs to display on
>>> RISC OS. Then you'll only need a fraction of the disc space.
>>
>> I can think of one obvious way it might be used.
>>
>> If the originals are being supplied to 3rd parties, either by being
>> burned to disk or FTP.
>>
>> I use my Iyonix to store lots of data that it can't use itself.
>
> Then a NAS is a very cheap solution available right now. It does not
> require several many years of OS work to develop a new filing system
> stack, which is of very little practical value without drastic
> improvements to hardware and non existent applications to exploit it.

I'd second that. I have a Linksys NAS (obtained from a well-known RISC
OS dealer who /always/ has stock... though I dare say there are
cheaper options for the more adventurous or competent) and it works
like a charm under LanMan98, being also accessible from my networked
PC laptop. Peak read-from/write-to speeds (Iyonix) with 512KB
blocksize are 6.4MB-sec/3.8MB-sec respectively. Another advantage of
course is that the setup is unaffected by computer hardware changes.