[iyonix-support] Re: File-core limit of 256GB - is it on the list?

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:30:25 +0000

On 9 Feb at 23:52, Jeremy Nicoll - freelists iyo only
<jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can't you keep older files, backups, whatever on slower (NAS) drives?

I have recently started to use a fully Raid enabled NAS drive for
backup.  Then yesterday I got reports that the backup could not proceed
as the destination file was locked.  Nothing I could do unlocked it.  So
I had to rename the old back up (yes, even though it was 'locked') and
start a new one taking a mere 10 hours.  No problem in doing this but it
means that I cannot rely on accessing the old NAS file.

My impression of this NAS box is that it is really rather fast.  It
accepted around 270 G in about 10 hours, which I calculate to be around
7.5 Mbytes per second, including the RAID storage.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@xxxxxxxxx
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/