Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:16:30 +0100

> I sent an EW produced Word document to a Word user and one day it
> wouldn't let him open it and the next day it did! Same document, same
> computer.

I recently had an experience that might explain that.  It wasn't Word, but
Excel.  The file sent to me was probably a recent format, whereas the
version of Excel on my work laptop is 2003.  (I rarely do any work now, so
it wouldn't be worth giving me a newer one.)

When I tried to open it (by double clicking) I got massages saying that
Windows couldn't find the file, so I should try to locate it.  That seemed
stupid since Windows had displayed the file, and knew I had double clicked
it (but then it is Windows).  I tried again, but with the same result.

Then I decided I would open Excel and see whether dragging the file to it
would work.  That meant fiddling round with the start menu and trying to
find Excel in the menu structure.

While I was doing that, a window popped up saying 'File conversion in
progress'.  That went away and I wondered whether it had failed (since it
was only about 10% done according to the progress bar).  While I was
wondering what to do next, Excel opened and the file appeared.

I could easily have given up earlier, and concluded that the file wouldn't
open.

I suspect things were slowed down by lots of initialisation, virus scans or
whatever that go on for ages in the background, so it might have been
quicker had I tried 10 minutes later.

Might be something completely different, but there seems to be a parallel.

Regards

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk