Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: Russell Hafter - Lists <rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 12:17:52 +0100

On 30 Apr, Chris Shepheard <chris.shepheard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > This gets weirder. In the past week I emailed a "word"
> > document from Easiwriter to members of a committee. One
> > reported that he could open it, but not edit it or print
> > it. Another reported that it had a virus, and would I
> > resend it.

> I sent an EW produced Word document to a Word user and one
> day it wouldn't let him open it and the next day it did!
> Same document, same computer.

I wonder if he tried to open it the same way?

I use Open Office to deal with the occasional Word doc that
EW 8.82 cannot cope with. This includes the two or three
.docx documnts I receive each year (not really enough to
make it worth my while upgrading to the latest version of
EW).

Even though Windows XP knows to open .docx with Open Office,
it cannot ("not a valid Win32 application" error). I have to
run Open Office, then use the Open dialgue to open the file.