Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 11:28:19 +0100

In message <fa6ea98852.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <52887369d0john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           John Rye <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In the past week I emailed a "word" document from Easiwriter to
>> members of a committee. One reported that he could open it, but not
>> edit it or print it.

> Yes, I have seen that, too. Recent versions of Word import documents
> in the age old format that EasiWriter uses in "compatibility mode",
> sometimes even in a kind of "preview-only" mode.

> I suppose the only way around that is to export in a later version of
> the binary Word format, or, as has been suggested before, in .docx or
> .odt format.

If Word 2003 (and I think 2007) opened a document which was in a
read-only source, the title bar showed "read-only", but it allowed
editing. When the user went to save they got "Save As" instead.

With Office 2010 editing is also disabled. The solution is to save the
document somewhere, making it read-write, then all the editing
functions re-appear.

I wonder whether the same behaviour is triggered by old versions?

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx