Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: Mike Hobbs <mike.hobbs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Icon users <icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:08:45 +0000

In message <52731fd706john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <7c03067352.mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Mike Hobbs <mike.hobbs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I've discovered that a number of internet service providers are
>> getting very aggressive about spam.

> They have been for a while.  They are fighting a war against spam, and it's
> well known that in wars people can suffer in cross-fire.

>> It seems some spam filters delve into every part of an email looking for
>> spam-like material. That can be as innocuous as mentioning low cost
>> jewellery or including a URL of a site that uses a domain and IP address
>> that does not tally with its location of registration (e.g. using .co.uk
>> if the IP address is not registered in the UK). Simply including the
>> email address of someone using such a domain can cause the mail to be
>> marked as spam. In my opinion this this unacceptably intrusive but that
>> is what is happening, like it or not.  Could this be your problem?

> I don't think so.  I would expect that situation to report the message as
> spam, to send it to the junk box, or not to deliver it.  In this case, it
> isn't objecting to the message, it is specifically objecting to the
> particular Microsoft filetype, and AFIA it is the recipient's computer, not
> the ISP, that is objecting.

OK, sounds like you're right re the Microsoft filetype. However,
don't expect 'spam' to end up in a junk mail folder. You might never
see it at all. I have conducted experiments and know for certain that
'suspicious' text, even within the body of a message, will not
only trigger a spam filter to tag an email as spam, but with Demon
it will bounce it back without notifying the intended recipient
in any way. Also, if you try sending any email containing any
spam-like content (as I described earlier) then the SMTP server
throws it back and won't send it.  We have two different ISPs and
both do this.  Furthermore, Demon's FAQ directs you to an
explanation at mailreport.co.uk where it advises you to obfuscate
'suspicious' text.

--
Mike Hobbs