Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:59:26 GMT

On 19 Mar 2012  Stanley Dean <stananddot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2012, at 22:58, John Harrison wrote:

>> If I am right, I consider it arrogant of MS to assume that anything not
>> created by MS is probably malicious.  I wonder whether it would reject
>> files created by Open Office, or Apple's 'Pages'.
>> -----------
>>

> I use Apple's Pages to sent .doc files and have had no complaints.

I generate Word files in EasiWriter and Excel files in LibreOffice
(son of OpenOffice) and again have had no complaints yet. I've taken
the precaution of warning the people on the distribution list,
however.

I know that Micro$oft say it's to get around a security problem, but
<paranoid> do I suspect yet another attempt at world domination
</paranoid> ?

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Hf     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.