[haiku] Re: gcc4 hibryd

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:55:05 +0100

Christian Packmann schrieb:
But maybe the
turned off optimizations in our GCC4 indeed account for the missing performance boost, then it could be low hanging fruit to get a boost for GCC4 Haiku in general. :-)

I'm rather certain of that; let's just hope that full optimizations don't break anything. We should see a 50-100% speed increase throughout, and that would be cool.

Yes, the SSE version of the benchmark should have revealed if any slowness can be attributed to running on Haiku as a platform. (Which one couldn't have ruled out completely, BTW.)

It would also negate some current deficiencies: e.g. JPG decoding is noticeably slower for really big images on Haiku compared to Windows (comparing ShowImage to XnView). That is on my quad Core2@xxx GHz; on slower machines, this will be noticeable even with rather normal image sizes, e.g. 5MP photos or such. A "true" GCC4 build would remove such disadvantages and level the playing field compared to Windows and Linux.

Note that there is a so called SIMD assembly version of libjpeg by a Japanese coder, IIRC. I came across that by accident, ie googling, at one point. I still have it on another computer, but it's probably still available on the web as well, just don't know the URL right now.

Best regards,
-Stephan