[haiku] Re: gcc4 hibryd

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:25:12 -0500

Skar Cat wrote:
normally i compile the system in the old way with the mind on gcc 2,95 but now what is possble make the hibrid version i wanna know How.

i need a how to or a little explain to clear a little all about the hibryd version of haiku os.

thanks, and congratulations.
I just did this last week for the first time, but found the results to be some what unstable (at least under VirtualBox; under strange circumstances, not only would Haiku crash, but it would even kill the VirtualBox VM). Here's what I did to build it:

From within the Haiku directory, where the ReadMe files are listed:

   mkdir generated-gcc2 generated-gcc4
   cd generated-gcc2
../configure --build-cross-tools ../../buildtools/ --alternative-gcc-output-dir ../generated-gcc2
   cd ../generated-gcc4
../configure --build-cross-tools-gcc4 x86 ../../buildtools/ --alternative-gcc-output-dir ../generated-gcc4

Now here's where I wasn't too clear on things, but it seemed to work for me. I'm not sure if you need to actually build the gcc2 version of the tree or not, but I did after discovering the gcc4 build wouldn't run most of the applications in my compile.

   cd ../generated-gcc2 && jam -q
   cd ../generated-gcc4 && jam -q

In my case, I was building to a disk partition, not a disk image, so I don't know if there's any other magic you need to perform for an image. Also, I'm not sure if order will play any role in the process, but it seemed logical to me that if you want a gcc4 kernel and libraries that it would need to be built after the gcc2 versions. Of course, you may want to make changes to the UserBuildConfig to include certain or all optional packages and possibly set the system name.

Hope that helps!
Raymond