[haiku] Re: gcc4 hibryd

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:37:25 +0100

Skar Cat <skarmiglione.sk4r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> oh, then this option can be enable now, on the actual revisions?. is
> recomendly?  the question is ...because maybe can be very more unstable
> than the normal version(i dont know yet but when i have time, i ll test
> it). have today we ports or native programs who need gcc 4 compile? total
> we know haiku is for developers, for now but every data what can you give
> me is very interesting.

On one of my systems, I have a GCC4 based installation with GCC2
compatibility libs. I can tell you that there are definitely issues: Any
apps that use the Translation kit cannot load any images. VLC has no sound
output. There may be more stuff. The system itself runs just as stable as
my GCC2 based Haiku installations. In terms of speed, I have neither
noticed nor could I measure any difference. I had one particular project,
where I suspected a GCC4 build would improve speed, but it didn't. The most
important benefit seems to be for developers when they need to work with
code bases that need GCC4.

Best regards,
-Stephan