[haiku] Re: gcc4 hibryd

  • From: "holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 12:39:12 +0100 (CET)

> Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx wrote:
>And it wouldn't solve the problem of actual applications running slow -
>especially web browsers are relevant here. I just realized that the fact
>of Firefox being so slow on Haiku compared to other platforms is probably
>not OS-specific, but compiler-specific. The rendering engines of modern
>web browsers are very calculation-intensive, and all rendering engines
>will probably run half as fast on Haiku as compared to other OSs on which
>modern compilers are used.

Sorry to disappoint you but iIt's not the fact at all.
The real (the biggest) fact is that the only platform code that gets any real
development is the windows code, so
consider the windows code one or two generations ahead of mac and linux and
even more for Haiku where we are to few.
Remember optimizations don't do much if you have other bottlenecks, and in
Firefox there is a lot of them.  If I wanted
to I could seriously improve the Linux code for instance, and I already know
that the Haiku browser CAN come close to
the windows version in performance.

Also firefox is not built and packaged the same on different platforms, making
the whole comparison flawed anyway.

Back to the topic:
Current firefox runs pretty much equal on gcc4 as gcc2 from a user perspective,
but from what I understand our gcc4
may not do all optimizations.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH