[haiku] Accelerated versus double buffered.

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:59:38 +0100

Hm. See <http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2769#comment:12>. Thing is, I am using this patch myself since quite a while (Core2Duo, nVidia 7300 PCIe). And now I am wondering if it should be commited to trunk. It's just that I don't really have an idea about the effects on slower computers. Can people who run Haiku natively on slower hardware, but *with* native graphics driver support, apply this patch and tell me how Haiku feels with that?

Logic dictates, somehow, that the effect of this patch should benefit slow computers as much as it does fast computers. However, it effectively removes all graphics driver acceleration. But why does the graphics feel smoother and there is less strain on the CPU than with accelerated graphics? Is the software cursor really that bad when using accelerated graphics otherwise? Anyways, please tell me your findings, if you get the chance to test this on slower computers with accelerated native graphics. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
-Stephan