[haiku] Re: Topics for tutorial videos

  • From: "Gavin James" <gavin.james@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:06:37 +0000

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Niklas Niklas <noisetonepause@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:07:50 +0000
> "Gavin James" <gavin.james@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Bear in mind that even though these are tutorial videos the vast
>> majority of people will watch them first from their current OS for the
>> purpose of finding out more about Haiku. I'm not saying the videos
>> shouldn't be playable on Haiku, just that you should cater to your
>> audience, and sadly that puts Flash right at the top of the list.
>
> Since I suffer from even more irrational hatred of Flash than most
> people I have done quite a bit of research into this. I have found that
> an <object> tag works nicely for audio on all browsers that I've thrown
> it at. It just shows up with a media player... IMO this and links to
> downloads is the way internet media should be handled.

I agree completely... and standards compliant websites should render
perfectly in all web browsers. The reality is quite different however.

Audio is a lot more straightforward than video. Try finding a
container-codec combination that will work for the vast majority of
the web browsing public though... and even then it wouldn't come close
to the install-base of Flash.

I'm not exactly Flash's biggest fan either... It's a big, bloated,
performance-hogging PITA but sadly it is the best tool for this job!

> This discussion is pointless before videos have been created, though:)

I disagree... but I'm not going to bang on about it. The topic came
up, and having some experience in this I decided to speak up. No point
making a video if your target audience can't watch it. :)

- Gavin