[haiku] Re: Topics for tutorial videos

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:17:32 -0500

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Gavin James <gavin.james@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bear in mind that even though these are tutorial videos the vast
> majority of people will watch them first from their current OS for the
> purpose of finding out more about Haiku. I'm not saying the videos
> shouldn't be playable on Haiku, just that you should cater to your
> audience, and sadly that puts Flash right at the top of the list.

I agree with this. It should not be too hard to make the videos in a
Haiku-friendly format that would also work well on YouTube and similar
sites. I might recommend H.264 since that can be turned into
high-quality videos on YouTube. Though I don't know how well that is
supported on Haiku. I am sure David McPaul or Stephan could say.

But as has been said it won't hurt to provide both Flash videos that
are easy to watch on the mainstream operating systems as well as one
that works well on Haiku.

And since this is my first email in this thread, let me say that video
tutorials are a very good idea that has been in my mind as well.
Screencast type videos played a big part in the "marketing" and
success of Ruby on Rails, and they are still very popular. One site,
peepcode.com is even making money from them.

Regards,
Ryan