[haiku] Re: Topics for tutorial videos

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:43:34 +0100 CET

> > All of the machines i work on arent capable of running flash in any
> > shape or form, so some better method of delivery or a more open
> > method of delivery would be better in my opinion.

Flash sux anyway :p

> My machines can't either (full time R5 user) unless cheating with
> QEMU is involved. But browsers have been capable of showing embedded
> video without Flash for about 12 years, so that shouldn't be a
> problem. Especially now we have three tags to choose from: embed,
> object and video!

Yes you'll want to use the <embed> tag and friends...
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/html5_embed.asp
And the new <video> one:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/html5_video.asp

you can put the embed one in the video tag so old browsers will use it
instead.

> What codec to use is a more difficult question; MPEG4 part 2 seems
> to be present on almost all desktops now, but it's patented.
> Ogg Theora is a possible alternative. Is there an open
> graphic-specific codec that might be better suited?

The problem with open codecs is Microsoft doesn't ship them with
Windows... so people won't have them installed by default...

If the video is small enough, MPEG1 is a pretty compatible choice.

You can also just put a link to the file alongside, so people who can't
see it in the browser can at least use an external viewer, without
having to dig the html (curse youtube!)

> Sounds like a good plan though! Video can easily show things that
> would otherwise require a very verbose (and off-putting) document,
> and I think it'd be an ideal way to introduce potentially unfamiliar
> concepts which are specific to BeOS/Haiku.

Yeah it seems interesting.

François.