[haiku] Re: Topics for tutorial videos

  • From: "Cyan" <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:27:27 GMT

> All of the machines i work on arent capable of running flash in any
> shape or form, so some better method of delivery or a more open
> method of delivery would be better in my opinion.

My machines can't either (full time R5 user) unless cheating with
QEMU is involved. But browsers have been capable of showing embedded
video without Flash for about 12 years, so that shouldn't be a
problem. Especially now we have three tags to choose from: embed,
object and video!

What codec to use is a more difficult question; MPEG4 part 2 seems
to be present on almost all desktops now, but it's patented.
Ogg Theora is a possible alternative. Is there an open
graphic-specific codec that might be better suited?

Sounds like a good plan though! Video can easily show things that
would otherwise require a very verbose (and off-putting) document,
and I think it'd be an ideal way to introduce potentially unfamiliar
concepts which are specific to BeOS/Haiku.