[haiku] Re: Topics for tutorial videos

  • From: "Gavin James" <gavin.james@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:07:50 +0000

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:52 AM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> The actual content is more important than the delivery format, IMO.
>>
>> Unless you can't access it :p

Indeed! Which is why Flash has all but become the defacto-standard for
video delivery on the internet at the moment. How else can you embed
video on a page and be relatively confident that it will play on the
vast majority of Windows, Mac, or even Linux PCs? There was a brief
moment when I thought HTML5 would alleviate this PITA for once and for
all, but that seems all but quashed now.

> A problem that can likely be solved once there is something to access
> in the first place :) (a weak argument, I know)
>
> BTW, there are already torrents for several Haiku-related videos that
> are found on YouTube and Google Video - I have downloaded video for
> others that I would be willing to create torrents for (such as the
> Haiku Google Tech Talk), and I'm always willing to seed a torrent for
> Haiku-related media. I'll update the "movies" page with those when I
> get a chance.

It's nice to have as an option... but IMHO for this type of video
content it *REALLY* needs to be embedded in the page and immediately
playable or else people are simply not going to watch it.

Bear in mind that even though these are tutorial videos the vast
majority of people will watch them first from their current OS for the
purpose of finding out more about Haiku. I'm not saying the videos
shouldn't be playable on Haiku, just that you should cater to your
audience, and sadly that puts Flash right at the top of the list.

- Gavin