[haiku] Re: Topics for tutorial videos

  • From: "Ben Allen" <ben.allen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:15:43 -0600

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:46 AM,  <steve_shepherd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm looking into the idea of putting together a series of tutorial videos for
> Haiku.  What kind of topics would you like to see addressed in this series?
> More to the point, what do you think would be useful for an end-user
> experiencing Haiku/BeOS for the first time?
>
> This idea was only just suggested to me in the IRC channel tonight, so your
> suggestions are welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Steve

Personally, I think it would be helpful for new users if there were a
series of short (30-60 seconds) videos that walk through the process
of performing simple setup operations, such as connecting to a
wireless network or setting up a printer.  IMHO, trying out a new
system is less intimidating if I can watch somebody doing the same
things that I'm trying to do, and a short video can be more helpful
than a page or two of documentation.  Plus, the shorter the video is,
the less complicated the task seems.  Using short videos, you could
almost make a "video wiki" of sorts as documentation for new users,
where each setup task has its own video clip and information page.

Regarding the comments about targeting youtube: don't forget to use
extreme close-ups for shots of the screen on videos intended for
youtube distribution.  I have been disappointed by countless
tutorial/demo videos in the past that had been mangled so much by
youtube's compression system that all text (and most smaller
graphics/icons) were absolutely unrecognizable.

-Ben