[haiku] Re: Sequitur

  • From: Dan MacDonald <allcoms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 08:22:50 +0100

Hi Pete

That sounds like the easiest way forward to get a Haiku audio multitracker
and to have it co-operate with Sequitur and it would of course be
infinitely preferable to not being able to multritrack and mix audio under
Haiku, no doubt. Taking that route would also keep the faithful of the UNIX
philosophy happy. I understand all this but its not what I want personally.

I'm a big UNIX fan and I love lean and mean apps too but after having spent
some time a number of years back playing with the various session managers
for JACK I can't stand the thought of stringing together one app for MIDI,
another for audio and a third as a plugin host etc. I want one app that
does all that (ie a DAW) so that its easier to create sessions, back them
up and share them if you just have the one project file / folder that is
opened by one app. Qtractor does all this. It's lean and mean, free and
open yet still packs quite a lot of features. It's also the classic
Linux-only app and Rui never has any plans for it to support any other
platform but there's nothing stopping it being forked or otherwise pillaged
for its best reusable bits. Ardour has fancier features buts its def. not
lean and mean which is what we expect in Haiku land.

I think it'd be great if you could patch up ecasound like you described. I
understand some people do want just a standalone sequencer so I'm happy for
them but rather than have someone try and write a Haiku native DAW from
scratch I think they should first seriously look into forking Sequitur and
taking advantage of the existing open source DAWs to see what can be
re-used seeing as writing a DAW takes forever.