[haiku] Re: Sequitur

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 13:36:54 -0700

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 08:53:32PM +0100, Dan MacDonald wrote:

Good news!

Are there any decent softsynths or samplers for Haiku that could be used
with this or does it require MIDI hardware to be used?

One of the more uderappreciated features of Haiku [IMO] is that it has by *far*
the best MIDI handling scheme of any OS! So, yes, in short, there are quite a
few ways to use a SoftSynth.

At the basic level, Sequitur always has a "Be MIDI Synth" output available,
which "Just Works", as long as you have a system SoundFont installed.
[A basic one is available from HaikuDepot, but I have a whole stable of
even better -- in fact superb -- ones, collected from the Web.]

I personally mostly use it with my own MusicWeaver [of course! (:-)] which
can supply any desired set of producer and consumer MIDI nodes; these can
connect to individual synths, be driven by orher midifiles, or do some
completely
arbitrary processing. Sequitur sees all these nodes and can connect as you
wish.

Does it support tempo ramps?

It supports arbitrary tempo changes (via a "Tempo" window). Maybe not "ramps",
as a tempo change in a midifile is always a discrete event, but you can get as
close
as you wish to a desired ramp with a suitable number of tweaks to the graph in
the
window.

-- Pete --