[haiku] Re: Sequitur

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:15:57 -0700

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 01:11:41AM +0100, Dan MacDonald wrote:

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 3:42 AM, I wrote:
On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 10:54:59PM +0100, Dan MacDonald wrote:

I knew it was gong to be something simple like that! It seems all I had to
do was select the soundfont as you mentioned and I also had to select a
different BeMIDI synth channel from the menu in the middle of the main
Sequitur window. Those two fixed my BeMIDI sound output problem.

Hmm, I don't quite follow your 2nd condition there. (:-)) *What* menu in
the middle of the window?

Sorry - classic case of trying to describe something I wasn't looking at. I
know I wrote that last mail under Linux as I am now.

(:-)) A familiar problem...

The menu I spoke of is actually in the top centre of the MIDI editing
window, not the main / tracks window. IIRC its labelled 'Tracks'.

OK, now I understand (somewhat). The menu associates that Track Window
with one of the tracks in the main window. Somehow you must have entered
the notes on the non-selected track. You shouldn't actually see them if you're
on the wrong one.

I've got USB MIDI working now - thanks! :)

Cool!

BTW, I think I'll try to create a page of "Sequitur Tips" on my Website,
because there are quite a few things that are not obvious when you're
starting. So if anyone has anything they think needs clarifying...

That or just make a few additions to the quickstart guide in the docs?

Yep -- that eventually. Writing a web page initially is a bit more flexible.

I have one last question / suggestion for an addition to the tips or
quickstart guide - how do you position the playhead? Ideally I'd be able to
do that with both the mouse and the arrow keys.

Unfortunately it looks as if it can only be positioned by dragging. Something
to be considered for any [ahem!] future revision...

Otherwise, this is looking like the best Haiku/BeOS native sequencer and
the best candidate for the basis for a Haiku-native DAW, if someone felt
like a challenge.

Quite a challenge, I suspect (:-/) Still I guess Eric Hackborn and crew did it
for their "Temper" (Windows) successor, so I guess it's possible.

Was there ever a better BeOS sequencer than Sequitur?

Don't think so. Not much else of any kind, though there was Talin's "MeV"
[right?] I got the impression that was more talked up than ever pursued
much.

-- Pete --