[haiku] Re: Sequitur

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:42:46 -0700

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 10:54:59PM +0100, Dan MacDonald wrote:

Hi Pete

I knew it was gong to be something simple like that! It seems all I had to
do was select the soundfont as you mentioned and I also had to select a
different BeMIDI synth channel from the menu in the middle of the main
Sequitur window. Those two fixed my BeMIDI sound output problem.

Hmm, I don't quite follow your 2nd condition there. (:-)) *What* menu in the
middle of the window?

There should be only one "Be MIDI Synth" active, though Sequitur gives
it two tracks (Chan 1 & Chan 2) to play with by default. It should have
active initial voices on all 16 MIDI channels.

You normally access the synth for a track by clicking on various parts
of the module icon at the right of the track. When you hover the mouse
over the icon, you should see a little 'button' in its top-left corner.
Clicking on this opens a menu from which you can select your desired
output device if you have more than the synth. Pressing the right
button brings up a menu of the 16 channels for you to select whichever
you want.

I've not had any luck getting it to record from my USB MIDI keyboard but I
got the impression you have this working right?

Yes, a USB-MIDI device should be automatically detected. To make
sure it's really there, you might want to do "ls /dev/midi/usb' in the
Terminal. You should see an entry for each existing USB channel
(of the form "0-0" etc).

Did you plug your K/B in before you started Sequitur? By default,
when it starts it opens a track for each *existing* device. If the
only device is the synth, that doesn't *have* a midi source, so no input
device will be assigned. If you open the "Filters" window from the menu,
you should see it listed there with its complete path).

The easiest way to assign an input device to a track is to hover the
mouse over the pipeline at the left of the track, and a "virtual device"
will appear with its device-selection button. Choose the device from
that, and the filter will become "real". You should then be able to drive
that track from your K/B; if your output filter for the track is the synth,
you should be able to hear the notes you play though that.

Note that the default configuration can be changed through the
Preferences panel. I tend not to like having two channels opened
for every device, as I normally use only one for input, and may have all
sorts of odd (e.g MusicWeaver) outputs, so I select the 'blank' choice.
Creating a file to hold a customized default could be useful (the 3rd
choice).

Hope that solves things.

BTW, I think I'll try to create a page of "Sequitur Tips" on my Website,
because there are quite a few things that are not obvious when you're
starting. So if anyone has anything they think needs clarifying...

-- Pete --