[haiku] Re: Sequitur

  • From: Dan MacDonald <allcoms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 14:13:40 +0100

Who did I criticize exactly and about what?

If I offended Pete somehow, I'm sure he'd let me know and if that did
happen, I'd apologise as I wasn't criticising. I'm just offering my opinion
and experiences in open source audio.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Dario Casalinuovo <b.vitruvio@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Dan,

I think it'd be great if you could patch up ecasound like you described.
I understand some people do want just a standalone sequencer so I'm happy
for them but rather than have someone try and write a Haiku native DAW from
scratch I think they should first seriously look into forking Sequitur

Sequitur doesn't provide neither the 1% of what needs a DAW like ardour.
MIDI is the latest of problems if you didn't understand that. It's the
recording part that should be well done before all, and for that i mean the
way the storage is done.

and taking advantage of the existing open source DAWs to see what can be
re-used seeing as writing a DAW takes forever.

This is something that would take more time than writing the low level
part from scratch and with poor results. The problem here isn't what to
port or what to use as base, the problem is that if you don't put a bit of
money into it a developer might just get bored and begin to be interested
in other things and in other OSes. I'm not talking of funding an entire
salary, but little cookies that increase the 'soldier' moral. There's not
way to get less work than needed, a project like a DAW need the adequate
time, but imagine yourself working for free for years, do you think you can
do better? If yes, please do it. My suggestion is to criticize devs less
and be more helpful, and i'm saying this in a very general purpose.

--
Best Regards,
Dario