[openbeos] Re: Icon Artwork

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 14:51:21 +0000

> > Maybe you could define the path width differently, or have a weight for
> > paths so that they don't reduce so much in smaller renderings. Dunno -
> > using the Level Of Detail filter should work, too, of course.
>
> Yeah, I will try a couple of these things. Thanks for the comments!

I think having another attribute in the Stroke transformer for "minimum width"
(and maybe "maximum width" too) would work quite nicely. I tried with your demo
text icon, and with the outlines set to width 4 they look quite nice at 16x16.
I used a LOD filter to only have them that width at < 0.33 but obviously there
is still a step change at a certain size from one to the other. It would be
nice if the line could just get thinner until it hits the minimum size.

Or maybe the line width could changed smoothly for all sizes - my absolute
favourite outline widths were 2ish for the 64x64, 3 for the 32x32 and 4 for the
16x16. Perhaps "Width at 64x64" and "Width at 16x16" parameters would work
nicely - then the stroke only needs 1 more parameter (which maybe could be left
out of the flat representation altogether if width_64 == width_16).

Whilst playing a bit I've noticed a few bugs in Icon-O-Matic but you've
probably fixed many of them already. I might try to Jam myself a fresh one for
an R5 target, but I've never really understood the whole jamming thing!

Simon

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software