[haiku] Re: Haiku User Groups

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:50:57 +0200

Le Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:31:20 +0200, John Melesky <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

This model (offering support and advice centrally, but ultimately letting the groups do their own thing) seems to work well. It's certainly not the only way of doing things, and if we want to make things more regimented in the Haiku, then so be it. I just want to know why we're going about things a different way.

Actually, some user groups requested the theme used by the main website to put it in their own sites. This is not possible without risking the trademark and/or confusing the user wrt to who is Haiku and who isn't. The solution is to create a design package that looks like, but is not identical to, the main website. This is only for groups who want it. The others are free to do whatever they want.

No one can lock the user groups. The only possibility would be Haiku, Inc. not allowing them to use the "Haiku" name, but if that happens to a big number of groups, it's likely that the community will find another name and dismiss Haiku, Inc. I think this will not happen :)

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx