[haiku] Re: Haiku User Groups

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:32:57 -0700

Howdy,

Am 19.04.2010, 11:50 Uhr, schrieb PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>:
Haiku, Inc. only handles the trademark. They can't really choose how an HUG is meant to work or integrate in the community or position wrt the project. Some HUGs are BUGs that existed even before Haiku, Inc. was created (I'm thinking of HSA/BeFAN, but there are probably many others). What power can possibly Haiku, Inc. have on these ? They can only remove the "Haiku" part of HUG, wich would be a bit silly if the group actually gathers users of Haiku.

In case I did not express myself properly, I did not say (nor did I mean) that Haiku Inc. had (the power) to define a HUG structure.

I said that *the project* needs a HUG strategy, because how you articulate a trademark policy depends on how you define your relationship with the stakeholders (which in Haiku's case is the community).

So, yes, it would have to be the project at large through discussions by its members with contributor status who defines the strategy; but this would not happen in isolation from Haiku Inc., as the BOD members are also contributors to the project. It's all one and the same.

Haiku, Inc. handles two things : the trademark and the money. Any other HUG could decide to handle money in its own way, and also pay the code developpers or other devs to work on other features. Haikuware has been doing so with the bounties for some time. So, the only control left is on the trademark and logo (and possibly the website artwork). We could only create an 'official haiku seal of quality' for HUG that Haiku, Inc. considers 'official', but not prevent other HUGs from existing...

According to the trademark policy RFC recently posted on the [haiku-inc] mailing list...

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-inc/RFC-additions-to-Trademark-policy

...it is not that clear that a regional HUG will be able handle money its own way as you say. On the contrary, it does look like Haiku Inc. is trying to regulate revenue streams involving Haiku and it's trademarks.

Charlie Clark wrote:
Excellent post, Adrien. Add to the list - anything that involves work by the board is unlikely to find volunteers to do it. And trying to get websites to comply with guidelines can be very difficult, particularly when its volunteers tying to convince other volunteers to change something.

The above-mentioned RFC is very limiting and quite overreaching as it relates to third parties. If adopted, this new trademark policy could actually be imposing quite severe constraints on all third parties, with no distinction of or special treatment for user groups.

Anyway, nobody is trying to convince anyone here. It was a couple of people representing their regional community who were asking for direction as it regards to HUGs on this thread; that alone is very telling of what the project needs in the area of community building.

As for burdening the board, it does not have to be that way: I volunteered to draft an outline of a HUG strategy to be put up for discussion, and my offer still stands.

Cheers,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net