[haiku] Re: Haiku User Groups

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:35:55 +0000

Hi Matt,

Matt Madia wrote on Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:37:17 +0000
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:58, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So before I share anything with anyone, I would like to know whether there
> > is a community consensus on this topic, would like to make sure that Haiku
> > Inc. is OK too.
> >
> > So my question is now: what would be the way to do this? Should I start
> > another thread asking for feeback? Should I start vote? Those on the know,
> > please advise.

<snip>

> As for non-endorsed sites using the theme of official sites, I too
> would prefer it to be case-by-case with prior
> authorization/acknowledgment to use it. My rationale is that using the
> same themes will blur the distinction between the project's official
> sites and those of 3rd parties.

Using the theme as you see it here...

http://ja-test.haikuzone.net

...would indeed blur the lines between the official site and that of HUGs.
That's intentional, though.

The idea is that the HUG community and its ties to the project would be
reinforced by both the unified look and the common cross-site navigation
scheme, giving a stronger a sense of unity. As long as the use of the theme
would be allowed only on case by case basis, there is a lot to gain and no
downside, as the project still retains the ability select who gets to use it.

Anyway, the question that still remains: is it OK for sites like Haiku Italia,
Qube.ru and the currently in development Japanese website use the Haiku theme?
It's not clear to me from reading the updated trademark policy.

I will try to comment on the RFC separately.

Cheers,

Jorge / aka Koki