[haiku] Re: Haiku User Groups

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:32:03 -0400

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 05:50, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Haiku, Inc. handles two things : the trademark and the money. Any other HUG
> could decide to handle money in its own way, and also pay the code
> developpers or other devs to work on other features. Haikuware has been
> doing so with the bounties for some time.

This is my position:

If any person, group, business, HUG, anyone wants to generate any
income through the use of Haiku Trademarks, then it needs explicit
permission from the owner of the trademark, this being Haiku Inc.

To give an analogy, if BeOS was being sold by anyone, I could see Be
Inc, having an issue with it and requiring explicit permission
beforehand. I envision a similar issue if their logo/trademarks were
directly used on merchandise or services being sold.

Since right now, the NPO's set up for selling goods is rather limited
(eg CafePress in the US & UK). It makes sense to be receptive to
certain people/groups who request the ability to sell merchandise. The
key idea is that the owners of the trademark have control over who can
and cannot generate income from the trademarks.

Outside of generating income from the use of trademarks, I personally
don't see an issue with a group managing themselves financially.
Though, I also don't see an issue with the group requesting money from
the NPO either.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:32, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In case I did not express myself properly, I did not say (nor did I mean)
> that Haiku Inc. had (the power) to define a HUG structure.

I mostly agree with this, but the owner of the trademarks have a right
to say who can and cannot use it, as well as how it can be used. That
is the part where the NPO has the final say. To balance this, it's
worth mentioning the obvious: Yes, the NPO does take the project's
wishes into consideration. As for defining the rest of the HUG, yes,
that'd definitely be the Project's role.

>Haiku Inc., as the BOD members are also
> contributors to the project. It's all one and the same.

Please, do not group Haiku Inc. in the same pool as the entire Project.
Yes, it was formed by members of the project.
Yes, it exists solely to support the project.
Yes, as of today it is made up of project/community members.
But, as I've mentioned several times in the past, the fact that the
members of Haiku Inc. can be legally be held accountable shows a clear
and distinct line of separation between the Project at large and the
NPO. I simply want that line to be acknowledged as where the NPO is
outside of the Project.

--mmadia