[haiku] Re: Haiku User Groups

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:04:40 +0000

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:35, Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki
<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Matt Madia wrote on Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:37:17 +0000
>> As for non-endorsed sites using the theme of official sites, I too
>> would prefer it to be case-by-case with prior
>> authorization/acknowledgment to use it. My rationale is that using the
>> same themes will blur the distinction between the project's official
>> sites and those of 3rd parties.
>
> Using the theme as you see it here...
>
> http://ja-test.haikuzone.net
>
> ...would indeed blur the lines between the official site and that of HUGs.
> That's intentional, though.
>
> The idea is that the HUG community and its ties to the project would be
> reinforced by both the unified look and the common cross-site navigation
> scheme, giving a stronger a sense of unity. As long as the use of the theme
> would be allowed only on case by case basis, there is a lot to gain and no
> downside, as the project still retains the ability select who gets to use it.
>
> Anyway, the question that still remains: is it OK for sites like Haiku
> Italia, Qube.ru and the currently in development Japanese website use the
> Haiku theme? It's not clear to me from reading the updated trademark policy.

I'm in favor of it being a case-by-case basis and not ok for any HUG
under the sun.

Simply for the fact that each HUG, 3rd party site would be maintained
by a different group of people, and no two HUGs are exactly the same.
More importantly it'll be a chance to ensure that each individual HUG
complies with the trademark policy -- particularly with the referenced
name to "Haiku" & making sure that any incoming money is clearly
displayed as not going to the Haiku Project/Haiku Inc.[1]

Just to be clear, I do not expect nor desire rigorous checking of the
HUG-site to give the ok.

For instance, the existence of http://www.haiku-os.gr came to my
attention a few days ago.
(My apologies in advance for singling this website out. Earlier, I
have contacted them to open a dialog.)
This website was recently registered & created. On at least one of the
pages, it refers to Haiku as "Haiku OS" and "Haiku Operating System",
which is not the name of the project. The fact that it is a new site
with little content would make me personally hesitant on allowing them
to use the themes. To be clear, I am talking of the site today and not
for all time.

On the other hand, sites such as the ones you mentioned instill more
confidence due to them being established and easily recognizable.
Though, being able to tell a particular site something to the effect
of "their portrayal of Haiku is not consistent with that of the
project and is reason to not allow the use of the theme" should be
well within our rights.

Maybe the trademark policy should include something that allows a HUG
to be officially recognized, but legally tied to the Haiku Project nor
Haiku Inc.? Honestly, I don't know the perfect solution and I'm
content with something that's incrementally better than today.

1:
The only people who should be generating income from Haiku's
trademarks are the owners of it: Haiku Inc and that is to ensure that
said money goes directly into funding Haiku and not a
community-provided site, a private individual, or separate business
entity. (The case of business endeavors, such as Dane wanting ship
Haiku & its trademarks as part of TuneTracker is something to deal
with another day)

--mmadia