[haiku] Re: Haiku User Groups

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:05:02 +0100

Jorge G. Mare wrote:
> Nickos V wrote:
>> 2) Haiku would have NO control over them - they could do and say
>> whatever they wanted.
>
> Again, this is already the case. People setup Haiku booths or give talks
> at conferences with little to no oversight. The thing is, you can't
> police every move everyone makes. You have to set a direction, provide
> the tools, and trust the community.

I wonder if having given a 3rd party organisation "official" permission
to use the trademark alters the legal repercussions for Haiku, Inc. We
should try to find that out.

I don't want to generate any potential legal issues for the BOD, but I'm
with Jorge that we should trust the community. Part of the reason I like
BSD over GPL is that it's more open, and good contributions still happen
once you trust people with the source code. I'm not advocating a
similarly free license for trademarks, as I agree protecting the image
of the project is important, but I don't think Haiku, Inc should be
overly restrictive either.

>> If logo were allowed, then I would suggest creating different or adding
>> to Haiku logo for HUGs to set them apart.
>
> Yes, that's what I meant by the HUG logo signatures in one of my
> please see this:
>
> http://haikuzone.net/files/temp/2010-04-19_logo_HUG.png

I think it is important to differentiate HUG sites from the main
project, and a different logo would do that nicely. We could also
require the HUGs to put a footer on their website such as "Haiku, Inc is
not responsible for any content produced bug xx-hug". Though we probably
need a lawyer to advise on this.

Still, deciding on the role of HUGs is the important first step we need
to agree on. As the OS is looking set to be fully localized for R1, I
think the official site should have at least some information in our
supported languages. However HUGs will certainly be best placed for
local advocacy, informal meetings, and local events to drum up interest.
Then the "official" website pages in that language could link to the web
site with text such as "xx-hug is the local Haiku User Group in xx. See
stuff: xx-hug is not an official part of the Haiku Project and Haiku,
Inc is not responsible for any of activities of a HUG or its
members.</small print>"

Simon