[openbeos] Re: Apple to steal yet more BeOS features...

  • From: David McPaul <dmcpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:47:22 +1000

> > On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Sigmund Kopperud wrote:
> >
> > > i second changing the license. you should make the license change
> > > retroactive too, so apple can't steal old code
> >
> > Heh. See my previous email. It won't happen. When we shoose the MIT
> > license we knew somethin like this could happen and, if it really
> > does, it
> > will be actually cool.
>
> , but can you explain to me if i would contribute to OBOS why the
> following
> would not hold:
>
> "If i contribute code other companies will use it in there software,
> making
> my code proprietary so that i can no longer use my own code anymore."

You can continue to use your code in any way you see fit.  How can this
other company stop you.

> "If others can just take my code and make it proprietary how will
> this
> benifit the OBOS project?"

The answer here will depend on what this company does.

1.  They may take the code and do nothing for OBOS
2.  They may take the code and use it to make their product compatable
with OBOS.
3.  They may take the code and contribute bug fixes and bug reports
back to OBOS.

I think the licence should not concern us too much.  Since the code is
open source any company can come along and take the code and use it.
We have no way to effectively enforce the licence or even to audit the
thousands of programmers out there who may see the code and copy it for
their company.

Arguing about the licence is simply a political statement and I have no
interest in such things when we all just want a living breathing BeOS.

Cheers
David

--
You will lose your present job and have to become a door to door
mayonnaise salesman.