[openbeos] Re: Apple to steal yet more BeOS features...

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 02:17:18 +0100 CET

"Allen Brunson" <brunsona@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> François Revol wrote:
> > I think we should move OpenBFS from MIT to LGPL to make sure
> > Apple doesn't rip it off... (but maybe it's too late) :)
> You guys are being silly.  BFS was *Dominic's* idea, not yours.  The
> very
> idea that he or anybody else at Apple would even *look* at your code
> is
> absurd.  You overestimate yourselves by an order of magnitude.
> Dominic
> could probably re-write BFS from scratch in a couple of weeks by
> himself,

Exactly!
With the one exception that he really did look at the code. He is also
just a (hu)man :-)

> and it would be even better this time, since he knows what he did
> wrong the
> last time.

Even I know now ;-)

> Personally I'd like nothing better than for MacOSX to move to an
> exact
> binary-compatible BFS duplicate, lock stock and barrel.  It's the OS
> I've
> moved to since the demise of Be and I know BFS beats the pants off
> HFS+, so
> it would make my life a lot easier.

Well, I can assure you that this won't happen, fixing the problems in
BFS alone makes this next to impossible, but I don't think that Apple
has any interest in doing so as well.

Adios...
   Axel.