[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: AW: Locale Kit

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:45:23 +0100 CET

"Scott MacMaster" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: "Gabe Yoder" <gyoder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > 2) For searching within a string for a character or perhaps even a
> > substring, accented is the same as unaccented
> Maybe, but I don't think I would want it to return results matching
> 'el'
> (the, masculine) when I do a search for 'él' (he).  Such a search
> option
> would only be useful for those who don't know how to type accented
> characters.

That really depends, so a search option would be the best decision here
- but I think it should default to ignore these differences.

> > So for sorting purposes, we can have "esta", "está", "ésta".
> > Searching for 'e' or 'a' should produce the same results on
> > all 3 words.
> Another things to consider is gender. If I do a search on 'este'
> (this,
> masculine) I probably would want matches on 'esta' (this, feminine).
> On the
> other hand 'este' also means east and for that meaning it has no
> gender.
> Maybe it would be best to have an 'ignore gender' checkbox on the
> search
> panel.  Hopefully, no one thinks we're suggesting that people ignore
> men or
> women and sues us for being discrimiative. :)

You're mixing completely different topics here. Collation only refers
to character match and order - it (usually, some languages define a
sort order depending on words as well) has nothing to do with words or
anything in that regard.
To implement something like you want, you would need to morphologically
analyze the text, and you'd most often need a complete lexicon of the
language to do that. After this, you would use the collation services
to see if the words match (in their morphologically reduced form).

Bye,
   Axel.