[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: AW: Locale Kit

  • From: <kevin.lawton@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:49:29 -0000

Don't quite get this - what has gender to do with sort order ?  There's enough
problems with 'international' sorting without adding more !  Let's face it, it
is only when you can completely ignore gender - make it truely irrelevant -
that you have true equality (but I can't imagine why you'd want that).
What appears to be the fly in the ointment in this case is those strange little
'accent' thingies some of the southern european languages seem to need. Are
they really necessary, or can they be ignored ? - and why are they needed
anyway when languages such as English, American and Australian get along fine
without them. Unfortunately, the ASCII doesn't cater for accents because at the
time it was invented Americans didn't use accents (rumour has it that they
still don't). It seems that  all issues of sorting are going to need to use
either a two-byte character set or a system of 'value tags' unless the accents
can be ignored. In terms of planning for the future - does it really matter ?
Languages have a habit of dying out with disuse: The Gaelic languages are
gradually dying out from the British Isles, Cornish died a couple of decades
ago, only a few sheep now speak Welsh - and a handfull of highlanders the old
Scot's Gaelic ('Gallic' they call it). Across most of the (civilised) world,
English has become the dominant language in business and commercial life. Minor
languages like French, Spanish and Italian will probably become irrelevant
soon. Most of India seems to be learning Enlish so they can pinch our jobs, so
in a few decades there'll just be English and Chinese. But the Chinese are
learning English, so give it a generation and only English will stand as an
important everyday language - leaving Latin for scientific and legal use, and
other languages as folk curiousities. Might as well just sort in ASCII and wait
patiently while the rest of the world falls into line.