[openbeos] Re: XML kit?

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:18:54 -0500

On 2003-12-18 at 13:29:25 [-0500], Adi Oanca wrote:
> > example of "doing it right requires a new release".
>     I think you do not understand me!

Could be. :-)

>     I too am an adept of "Make Things Right", and that is exactly why I
> asked that!
>     An "MTR" XML kit should be ready *before* others even start doing things
> The Right Way.
>     Do you see what I mean?

Yes, I see what you are saying - that there is a possibility that some
features of R2 will rely on other features and, as such, will require a
dependency tracking to ensure that the tools are ready for the stuff further
down the dependency tree.

I think that something like an XML kit is probably near the base of the
hierarchy of things that we should start planning for R2. I would believe
that we could plan it out without implementing it such that people could then
count on it existing.

> > In addition, we have
> > talked about some ability to convert back and forth between BMessage and
> XML.
> > Even, possibly, making XML the format for BMessages that are written out
> > disk.
>     Opinions ARE shared... :-)

I could take this two ways - one is that you agree. Cool. The other is that
you think that I/we should have shared this opinion. It was shared on GE
(which, incidentally, is the place for this sort of thing). :-)

> > Whether any of the above makes sense or not, it does, IMHO, illustrate why
> > major changes should be thought about as a cohesive unit and done in one
> > release. :-)
>     Totally agreed! But before I, you, Axel, etc. start writing a new
> component, we should HAVE XML Kit ready! Do you agree with me here?

Yes (well, at least we should have a header and a plan in place). But not
now. R1 must continue to be our priority. A nice XML kit doesn't help us if
kit X isn't functional yet, where X in (Kernel, Media, App, Networking, etc).