[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: AW: Locale Kit

  • From: "Scott MacMaster" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:17:27 -0500

From: "Gabe Yoder" <gyoder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> That fits with the data that Kevin mentioned.  I agree that modern is the
way
> to go for three reasons:
> 1) Modern is better than old fashioned
> 2) The modern version is easier
> 3) That web page mentions that MS uses the old version.
> I should have an answer from a native Spanish speaker sometime Friday or
> Saturday regarding the accented stuff.  My current thoughts are:
> 1) For comparing two strings (such as in sorting), accented letters come
after
> unaccented versions
> 2) For searching within a string for a character or perhaps even a
substring,
> accented is the same as unaccented

Maybe, but I don't think I would want it to return results matching 'el'
(the, masculine) when I do a search for 'él' (he).  Such a search option
would only be useful for those who don't know how to type accented
characters.

> So for sorting purposes, we can have "esta", "está", "ésta".  Searching
for
> 'e' or 'a' should produce the same results on all 3 words.

Another things to consider is gender. If I do a search on 'este' (this,
masculine) I probably would want matches on 'esta' (this, feminine).  On the
other hand 'este' also means east and for that meaning it has no gender.
Maybe it would be best to have an 'ignore gender' checkbox on the search
panel.  Hopefully, no one thinks we're suggesting that people ignore men or
women and sues us for being discrimiative. :)

Later,
Scott MacMaster