[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: AW: Locale Kit

  • From: Gabe Yoder <gyoder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:00:21 -0500

On Thursday 18 December 2003 02:55 pm, you wrote:
> I found this:
> http://www.dbazine.com/gulutzen1a.html
>
> It doesn't answer the question of how to handle accented vs. unaccented
> vowels entirely, but I think it hints that Spanish does not have any
> extra rules.
> I think we'll go for the modern Spanish collation in OpenBeOS, then, at
> least at first :)

That fits with the data that Kevin mentioned.  I agree that modern is the way
to go for three reasons:
1) Modern is better than old fashioned
2) The modern version is easier
3) That web page mentions that MS uses the old version.
I should have an answer from a native Spanish speaker sometime Friday or
Saturday regarding the accented stuff.  My current thoughts are:
1) For comparing two strings (such as in sorting), accented letters come after
unaccented versions
2) For searching within a string for a character or perhaps even a substring,
accented is the same as unaccented

So for sorting purposes, we can have "esta", "está", "ésta".  Searching for
'e' or 'a' should produce the same results on all 3 words.