[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: AW: Locale Kit

  • From: "Scott MacMaster" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:12:28 -0500

> > Another things to consider is gender. If I do a search on 'este'
> > (this,
> > masculine) I probably would want matches on 'esta' (this, feminine).
> > On the
> > other hand 'este' also means east and for that meaning it has no
> > gender.
> > Maybe it would be best to have an 'ignore gender' checkbox on the
> > search
> > panel.  Hopefully, no one thinks we're suggesting that people ignore
> > men or
> > women and sues us for being discrimiative. :)
>
> You're mixing completely different topics here. Collation only refers
> to character match and order - it (usually, some languages define a
> sort order depending on words as well) has nothing to do with words or
> anything in that regard.
> To implement something like you want, you would need to morphologically
> analyze the text, and you'd most often need a complete lexicon of the
> language to do that. After this, you would use the collation services
> to see if the words match (in their morphologically reduced form).

I am aware that the one algorithm would be significantly more complex but I
wouldn't say they are completely different.  They are both searches with a
set of rules that differ somewhat.  When the topic of searching was
mentioned my mind first went to the idea of searching for text in a
document.  However, for other types of searches, possibly searching for a
file, a more exact search algorithm may be better.  Still, I think it would
be somewhat unintuitive to type "este or esta" in the search string if I'm
not certain what gender the filename uses.

Later,
Scott MacMaster