[openbeos] Re: Spanish support in Open Locale Kit

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:52:07 +0100 CET

Hi Koki,

"Koki" <koki@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> # Accents and other diacritical marks
>
> As I understand it, in Spanish accents and other diacritical marks
> only
> have phonetical value, and therefore should have no effect whatsoever
> on sorting.

But they have; usually, words without an accent come first when they
are equal in the primary differences.

> # Special characters CH and LL
>
> As someone else has already pointed out, there is the old and new
> schools. I think the user should be able to switch between
> "traditional
> sort" and "modern sort". In the former, CH and LL are considered
> separate characters on their own, and in the latter the opposite is
> the
> case, and sorting should be done based on the user's sort selection.
> This would be the Right Way to Do It(tm). :-)

We will initially provide the new/current/modern way of the collation,
but it'll be very easy to extend that - and the user would have the
choice, that part is already planned.

> # Letter Ñ (enye)
>
> This letter is unique to Spanish (as far as I know, but I may be
> wrong), and stands between the letters "n" and "o", and should
> therefor
> affect sorting accordingly.

Right (not sure about the uniqueness part, but the sort order is like
that in Spanish).

Bye,
   Axel.