[openbeos] Spanish support in Open Locale Kit

  • From: "Koki" <koki@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:36:28 -0800

Hi,

Although Spanish is my mother tongue, I am by no means an authority in
linguistics. However, I thought I would throw in my two cents regarding
Spanish support in Open Locale Kit.

# Accents and other diacritical marks

As I understand it, in Spanish accents and other diacritical marks only
have phonetical value, and therefore should have no effect whatsoever
on sorting.

# Special characters CH and LL

As someone else has already pointed out, there is the old and new
schools. I think the user should be able to switch between "traditional
sort" and "modern sort". In the former, CH and LL are considered
separate characters on their own, and in the latter the opposite is the
case, and sorting should be done based on the user's sort selection.
This would be the Right Way to Do It(tm). :-)

# Letter Ñ (enye)

This letter is unique to Spanish (as far as I know, but I may be
wrong), and stands between the letters "n" and "o", and should therefor
affect sorting accordingly.

This is what comes to mind right now. Hope it helps.

Koki
koki@xxxxxxxx