[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: AW: Locale Kit

  • From: "Scott MacMaster" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:14:51 -0500

> Apologies in advance if this e-mail is a perceived flame; NOT my
> intent.  It appears that you don't grok some of the nuances of the
> romance languages (????).  At the risk of coming across as a chauvinist
> -- gender, in some languages, is part and parcel to the dialect.  Can
> you discern the difference between "yo tengo mucho hombre" and "que
> paso, hombre?"  Hombre can be a colloquial "man" or hunger, depending
> on context.  Subtleties matter.  Not so easy to quantify, eh?

It's been over a year since I took Spanish 201 in college but I do recall
that phrase being discussed.  I'm also aware that many expressions can't be
literally translated to English and likewise many expressions in English
can't be literally translated to Spanish.  For example, "yo tengo ocho años"
literal translates as "I have 8 years."  However, it actually means, "I'm 8
years old."  Anyway, it's been over a year since I studied Spanish.  I'd
probably sound like a gringo if I tried speaking any Spanish and I
definitely don't understand many of the nuances of romance languages.
However, I was just pointing out things to consider when designing a search
algorithm for Spanish or other similar languages

Later,
Scott MacMaster