[haiku-web] Re: Drupal Twitter Module

  • From: "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 21:35:29 -0300

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Sikosis <sikosis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I find it's a great marketing tool for driving eyeballs to web sites
> > ... it's also a lot easier to just follow someone and get updates from
> > twitter, rather than having to go to the web site yourself to find out
> > what's going on.
>
> I generally understand the purpose, but I'd like to see some examples
> where other open source projects have adopted twitter... are there any
> good ones out there? (I admit I haven't looked very hard, but I can't
> recall ever running across a Twitter feed on an FOSS website).

My question: Why does it matter if other FOSS projects are using it anyway?
Why not be the first if there aren't others.

> Even if we put the feed up, I believe the content would only be useful
> if the core project contributors actually used it - otherwise it's
> likely to just become a bunch of community members blabbing about how
> great Haiku is or something... I dunno, I haven't bought into the
> whole twitter thing yet personally...

Lots of people use twitter as a way to promote blog posts but automating
messages with such a module or script. Big news organizations do it too:
i.e. CBC (Canada), Fox, NBC etc...

I can't see it would hurt anything. If we install the module and select a
decent set of criteria (if possible) to publish. Maybe we can do the front
page news, certain blog posts, and maybe even some repository commits or
something.

Just some thoughts.