[haiku-web] Re: Drupal Twitter Module

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:00:38 -0700

Howdy,

Urias McCullough wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Dennis d'Entremont
> <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking more along the line of just having one twitter account
>> connected to the drupal module that would publish a tweet when there is a
>> site update such as a new front page item or new blog post (maybe svn even
>> commits).
>>
>> This way no one has to put in any more effort than they already do. Of
>> course, if individual developers or community members want to sign up and
>> tweet about their projects that's fine with me.
>>

> I'm confused - is the technology set up such that it can't just
> subscribe to an RSS feed and auto-tweet when something new shows up? I
> mean, that's basically how RSS works... I would have thought the
> twitter devs would allow auto-tweets from an RSS feed, or that someone
> would have setup such a service already.
>
> I don't see how this is much different technologically than an RSS aggregator.

Some people may like to just visit the website; others to subscribe to
an RSS or to follow stuff on Tweeter or Facebook. Different people have
different choices, and having the ability to meet those choices is not a
bad thing IMO. That being said... :)

If the proposed module is used to push the website content (mainly front
page news, blog entries, etc.) to a Tweeter channel, I don't see the
harm, particularly if it requires a one-time setup and then the rest is
fully automated. On the contrary, it further expands the reach of the
information being put out by the project.

However, if the module is intended to pull twits onto the Haiku website,
then you get a -1 from me unless there is some accountability on the
content; if you have no control over who will twit what, you simply risk
ending up with a lot of irrelevant content, and that would not be
beneficial.

Cheers,

Jorge

PS: If there were a module to automatically push the website posts to
Facebook or any other social networks, that would be nice to have too. :)