[haiku-web] Re: Drupal Twitter Module

  • From: "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:14:09 -0300

<snip>

> Some people may like to just visit the website; others to subscribe to
> an RSS or to follow stuff on Tweeter or Facebook. Different people have
> different choices, and having the ability to meet those choices is not a
> bad thing IMO. That being said... :)

This is exactly why I think it's a good idea.

> If the proposed module is used to push the website content (mainly front
> page news, blog entries, etc.) to a Tweeter channel, I don't see the
> harm, particularly if it requires a one-time setup and then the rest is
> fully automated. On the contrary, it further expands the reach of the
> information being put out by the project.

> However, if the module is intended to pull twits onto the Haiku website,
> then you get a -1 from me unless there is some accountability on the
> content; if you have no control over who will twit what, you simply risk
> ending up with a lot of irrelevant content, and that would not be
> beneficial.

I don't think the intent is to pull tweets to the website but rather push
them from the site to twitter. There is a service called tweetlater.com that
checks an RSS feed periodically and the posts the updated articles to
twitter. That is what I use for posting my blog articles to my personal
Twitter account.

I know little about the module in questions but I suspect it functions like
the tweetlater service where it takes new ides (maybe RSS maybe not) and
pushes them to Twitter.

Using the module would probably be the better approach since we would have
complete control over it. With Tweetlater (and any service that uses the
Twitter API on behalf of a user) requires you to provide them with the
account credentials as there is no other way to authenticate at the present
time.

PS: If there were a module to automatically push the website posts to
Facebook or any other social networks, that would be nice to have too. :)

+1 for this idea too

Dennis