[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:04:16 +0100

Am 26.02.2013 um 20:45 schrieb Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Thus it does appear to be solely up to the application to choose what
> it feels like doing with the zoom button. It's open to interpretation,
> and thus to the user not knowing if the app is going to actually go
> full screen like they wanted, or shrink down to a tiny window that
> displays the bare minimum view to show all the content.
>
> It's a button that goes full screen sometimes, even when it's not
> technically needed, and not other times... depending on the
> application and the type of content being displayed (perhaps a text
> file is thought to have infinite dimensions, irrespective of the
> actual text in it? who knows... it's not something a user should have
> to ever wonder about. The "zoom" button should always give them the
> exact same predictable behavior. Not one of a couple possible
> behaviors.)

A big part of the problem here is not the button, but your conception of what
it does. It is not a full-screen button and not a maximize button. Never has
been.

This is a toggle size button. Even the icon is supposed to transport this
meaning. "Toggle size" means each resizable window can have two sizes that it
will remember. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, you obviously use Windows a lot, since from it's use you simply assume
that this button is supposed to mimic the behavior of the maximize button in
Windows. But it's simply not.

If you were a Mac OS user, you would be used to the "+" button. And it behaves
exactly like the Haiku size toggle button. Arguably, the Haiku symbol does a
better job at explaining the meaning, since even when a window will reduce in
size on MacOS, the button is still the "+" symbol. This is made worse by the
fact that there is also a minimize button in MacOS "-". Which suggests that the
"+" button does the "opposite", whatever that might be, most likely "maximize",
but it does not.

Now the smaller part of the problem may be that a lot of user still share your
conception, when they come from Windows. But Haiku is allowed to work in its
own way. I am not opposed to changing this button's meaning. I just want the
discussion not to be on based on a wrong preconception.

Best regards,
-Stephan