[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 18:59:30 -0500

pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

/These are implementation bugs. We should fix them.

/

Yes, they are. I wish someone would, I'll be honest however, if you have a weak cpu and low amounts of ram, you will see them more then people with lots of cpu power and lots of ram.

/There are several features of Be way of managing window going towards 'not doing stuff manually'. Clicking the zoom button of a window is meant to automatically scale it to the right size, that is, big enough to show all the contents, and not bigger. Unfortunately, many 3rd-party apps import the behaviour of other OSes, that is, just making the window full screen when clicking that button.
/
I am gonna be really honest here, if I click expand, I want the application to be fullscreen. That means I want my full attention focused on what I am doing. I can never imagine a situation where i would be using the terminal, while recording music. Its just not a sound use model. Also fixed resolution applications, with fixed layouts, are a pain in the ass to use on high DPI displays. 2560x1440 is growing in popularity at 27inchs diagonal. So many BeOS apps with there small font sizes, small windows etc, are hard to use without getting inches from the screen, which defeats the entire purpose of a large high dpi screen.

/I think most of the problems in the Haiku UI stems from trying to adopt features from similar, but different systems seen elsewhere. The mixup of different paradigms (spatial vs single-window, zooming vs maximizing, etc) leads to a confusing and suboptimal situation. Unfortunately, we can't do a system that works perfectly fine in both modes. Since there are a lot of other systems going with single-window mode only, I'm quite happy that Haiku still uses spatial navigation, because that's the one I'm more comfortable with. you're free to disagree, but then there are plenty of OSes and software you can happily use. I'm stuck with Haiku, BeOS, AmigaOS and Windows 3.11 or 95, which isn't really fun :)

/
Haiku ui, since its a desktop focused OS, should implement the best ideas, regardless of where they come from.

Sean