[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:39:54 +0100

> http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/gui.html
>
> "The "zoom" button (or CTRL ALT Z). In most applications, this will
> expand a window to maximum size. It doesn't have to, however. Tracker
> windows, for example, will resize to best fit the contents."

This is not what should be written...
The idea is that the zooming has 2 states : zoomed or non-zoomed.

Going into zoomed mode means the app should scale to the optimal size that
allows showing all of its contents. Going out of zoomed mode restores the
previous size. We have a first problem here: there is no visual hint of which
state the window is in.

The other problem is how to decide the 'optimal size'. The base method uses
the smallest of the screen size, the Zoom limits and the Size limits of the
window. This is usually not enough, and the app should provide extra hints.
We could use the layout kit to compute the side more automatically (it
already does it if you set the B_AUTO_UPDATE_SIZE_LIMITS flag, so the code is
there). There's always room for interpretation on what the optimal size is,
but I think most of the time it doesn't have to be full screen. Right now,
I'm writing this mail and I want to keep an eye on the web browser with the
link you mentioned, as well as the Be Book documentation of BWindow::Zoom. I
don't need my email writing program to be wider than 80 chars, and I can use
the other half of the screen for the web browser.

Sometimes the best size is indeed the full screen, but that should not be the
main and default behaviour.

--
Adrien.