[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:33:11 +0100

> I do the same things aside from the virtual memory one. What is the
> benefit of that one?

Virtual memory is allocated on disk (by default, 2x your RAM size). If you
really want this disk space back, you can disable it. However, this is
usually not a good idea. You are likely to encounter 'vfork: out of memory'
errors when trying to compile Haiku, for example. This is because vfork
allocates a lot of memory that it never uses, and then free it up shortly
afterwards. Our allocator can allocate memory for it in the swap file (and
since that memory never gets used, it doesn't read or write anything to
disk), but if there is no swap file, it will fail and abort the program.

--
Adrien.