[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:52:15 +0100

Am 22.02.2013 03:11, schrieb John Scipione:
Hello Haiku devs, I need some advice on a UI problem I've encountered.

In hrev45298 I added a "Close tab" tool tip to the close button of
WebPositive's tab. However, several dev's complained and so I reverted
the change in hrev45311. But, I noticed a UI problem with the tool
tip. The following screenshot illustrates the problem:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5055fa84fcf8dfba6b1282a4abebdabd/tumblr_milmynzybg1r0f0hfo1_500.png

The tab's label is shown in the tool tip, even over the tab's close
button. For a new tab this means the tool tip reads "New tab". This is
misleading because when you hover over the close button the tool tip
pops up as "New tab" which makes it look like the close button opens a
new tab instead of closing the current one. I can think of 3
solutions:

1. Return to displaying a "Close tab" tool tip over the close tab button.
2. Remove the tool tip when over the close tab button.
3. Remove the tab tool tip entirely.

Or we could just live with it as is. What do you guys think?

I would be in favor of restoring the tool-tip over all X-icons. I have no idea what the big deal is. Icons are small and there is usually plenty of white-space to rest the mouse pointer.

If you know what an icon does, you click it swiftly and never see the tool-tip. If you want to rest your mouse, you usually don't do so over icons or buttons, since when you accidentally click, you perform an action. At least I am in the habit of always resting the mouse over empty space. That means that the only situation in which the tool-tip is shown is likely not accidental. You hover the icon and why not show a tool tip? I don't get it.

Best regards,
-Stephan